Final Performance Evaluation

 Blog 10 - Final Performance evaluation

   Unfortunately, due to injury, I was unable to perform in the final performance of the group choreography. Throughout the process, despite the challenge of having a medical absence which meant my group had to work slightly differently, I believe the process to be a success because my group overcame the challenge innovatively by composing a plan of aspects to work on whilst I was away that I wouldn’t have to catch up on. We would’ve been less effective in terms of time management if I had to learn the choreography that my group created, instead of using the time we had evolving our piece to become the best it could be. Working well as a group helped us to overcome the issue as if members of my group stressed about the issue and potentially felt compromised by me, tension could’ve been created, and it would prevent successful sessions and productivity. I also feel that, if the group had created a lot of content for me to catch up on, I would’ve struggled to complete all my tasks and meant I would be behind. This could’ve meant some members would be frustrated if they wanted to continue with another task within our sessions, but I may have needed to be caught up. 

 

    Overall, I feel that everyone ‘pulled their own weight’ which is something I was apprehensive about prior to the process. I feel that we achieved what we needed to simultaneously and didn’t let anyone down. For example, when creating the group sections, we all bounced off each other’s ideas and this enhanced the choreography. If a person had an idea on how we could evolve another’s choreography, we never became bitter or saw this as the person viewing the concepts as corrupt. Instead, we listened to their thoughts and moved forward in a way the whole group considered appropriate. Having a strong relationship creates a harmonious atmosphere, making it easy to voice opinions or create choreography without the fear of certain people’s judgements or attitudes towards you. I felt that devising this allowed me to be additionally creative and reflect deeply of ways to enrich the choreography for the objectives to be as apparent as possible and for us to be efficacious.

 

     The biggest challenge for me was creating my solo choreography in a way fitting to the themes showcase. I wanted to be able to precisely convey the correct emotions and meanings behind the stimulus, but this was hard not having been through anything similar. I feel that 9/11 is such a meaningful subject that if I had gone around it wrong, it would not be effective nor convey the events correctly. I overcame this by immersing myself with research of others first-hand experiences to fully understand the happenings during the incident. This sparked ideas I wanted to incorporate within my solo, which I was able to achieve using a variety of techniques. I found by using improvisation before creating some movements, allowed me to embody the emotions I felt after reading my research. By filming this, I could take what I liked and use it in the creative process.

 

    If I could've done anything differently, I would’ve enjoyed being present for the choosing of the stimulus. Although I really enjoyed engaging myself within the stimulus chosen, I’m curious as to the topics my other group members had proposed. This would’ve been interesting as we could’ve taken a different approach and it may have worked in our favour or against us. The benefits of showing Borders life thought different sections allowed the group to work around my absence and if we didn’t have this on our side, our choreographic process may have suffered. 

 

    I have learnt many things throughout the course including how to commendably work within a team instead of just individually. Functioning as a group educated me in ways to be additionally open minded to others’ ideas and discovering ways to feature everyone’s invisions within the choreographic process. This helped me to evolve as I established myself enthused by other approaches and has enable me to take these into my knowledge to custom again in other choreographic tasks. I feel occasionally, I am most comfortable when sticking to my usual methods in a creative process, and obviously they are not always as effective as they can be. Therefore, having new ways of working will only benefit me to become more creative and advanced choreographer, something I aspire to progress in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motif Development

Composition and Structure

Reflecting on out group's starting objectives